CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

1.12.04

Bill Viola's Tristan

Tyler Green has a nice piece today at Modern Art Notes on Bill Viola's upcoming work on a new production of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, which I first mentioned in my Preview of the Opera Season, 2004–2005 (the last entry):

The Peter Sellars production (with scenery designed by Bill Viola) of Tristan und Isolde (1865), with Esa Pekka Salonen conducting, at the Bastille Opera in Paris (April 16 to May 7, 2005)
I did not realize, as Tyler quotes from the Los Angeles Times, that Viola's video images for the new production will actually be premiered not next spring but this very weekend, in a series of concert performances by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I'll report what I can about this.

No comments: