CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

4.12.04

Music With a Pulse

Here's an invitation from a young composer of my fleeting acquaintance. (Terry Teachout at About last Night has Paul Moravec, whom he has vocally supported: perhaps this could be the "Ionarts composer"?) At any rate, I've heard his music, and though Europeans would probably scoff it off as "not difficult enough" (read, not atonal) it is both beautiful and with depth... quite an achievement, I believe. For our readers in New York, this would be not only an enjoyment (I assume) but also the way to be ahead of their times! ("Oh... I knew Mr. Boyle's work before it was 'cool' to know it!") I wish we could make good Mr. Ross attend and report on it. [Sadly, I note that Alex Ross has suspended his blog for the rest of this calendar year. We wish him the best as he works on his book.—CTD]

Message from Benjamin C.S. Boyle:

Dear Friends,

I would like to cordially invite you to a very exciting musical event. On December 18th, acclaimed pianist Magdalena Baczewska will be giving a solo piano recital at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Featured on the program is a new work of mine that Ms. Baczewska commissioned from me two months hence: a Ballade. Expanding upon the hallowed narrative form of Chopin, I have created, through a fruitful collaboration with Ms. Baczewska, an eight minute work which I believe to be quite powerful and enchanting. I hope you will be able to join me for what will be a very memorable concert.
For ticket information, please contact 212-247-7800 or go to www.carnegiehall.org.

No comments: