CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

1.11.04

Whew!

Anthony Tommasini's article today (Whither the Met's Artistic Priorities? It Depends Who's Doing What, November 1) for the New York Times informed me that Peter Gelb, an executive from Sony Classical, will succeed Joseph Volpe as the general manager of the Metropolitan Opera in 2006 (thanks to ArtsJournal for the tip). This was a relief, since I chewed my fingernails in public here about Plácido Domingo's name being on the Met's short list. Maybe Mr. Gelb can get Sony to come through with the funding to keep the Met broadcast on the air. Mr. Tommasini asks some questions that I agree it will be interesting to see how the Met answers.

UPDATE:
Although I missed it, Tim Page did write about this news (Gelb Is Named Met Opera GM, October 30) in Saturday's Washington Post (thanks to rg for pointing that out).

No comments: