CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

22.10.05

Last Song for Shirley Horn

photo by Larry Basacca"A song is lucky if Shirley Horn chooses to sing it" was once said about this grand lady of jazz singing. A Washington native and Howard University graduate, she has performed countless times in D.C. How I have missed all these opportunities, I do not know. Sadly, I shall never get to hear her live - Ms. Horne passed away last night.

Shirley Horn has performed with every big name in jazz and leaves a legacy of her art on Verve records. Her art was such that it transcended categories. Another Washington native, Duke Ellington, once said about music: "If it sounds good, it is good." Shirley Horn, who just earlier this year won the The National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowships, did sound good!

2 comments:

Princess Alpenrose said...

Yeah, I just saw that news clip.

Sad that she has passed, glad she left us a recorded legacy.

Now that's a career to be proud of!

in2jazz said...

Her music will never end in our hearts. I am so glad that I got to see her earlier this year in concert.