CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

11.10.12

Bella goes to the Prinzregententheater


Writing from the Family Concert of the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra on September 29th is our Junior Family correspondent, Isabelle Lysette Zeba. We’re very grateful that she took the time out of her busy schedule of being fabulous, eating flowers, sipping champagne, and furthering her operatic career-in-the-making, to report from this glamorous event with artists from the BRSO, Yefim Bronfman, and speaker Sunnyi Melles. Text—a putative children’s story really for adults—by Katharina Neuschaefer. The whole thing was a racket collaboration arranged with the Sueddeutsche Zeitung to support one of the latter’s relief-organization-schemes.


I went to a Kids concert. I’m a lady, of course, and not a kid. But I guess it’s nice and I had to go, because Gilligan the bear is busy and I had a new bow I needed to wear! Also, there was Mister Bronfman playing, and of course he has played many times for me already, in Washington and Salzburg and Munich! Of course Mister Bronfman is no Grigory Sokolov, but I say that only because I have heard someone say that and it always makes everyone nod! And the nice Mister Tzimon Barto is much more muscular and doesn’t look like such a gray blob. But I am told I digress.

They started with a speech, which I don’t like. It was all bla bla bla bla bla bla money bla bla bla bla bla wonderful bla bla bla bla bla poverty bla bla bla bla music instruments. And oooooooh! There came a blonde girl finally. A little like a giraffe with suuuuch a pretty pink hat! And with a costume that glittered and with six inch heels. Hihi! That was exciting. Oh, and she’s almost a real princess!

She spoke very fast and very German, though, and I’m not sure how much I understood. Or the other kids. They looked confused, when I looked around the auditorium. Also, I think that the kids were outnumbered by the adults. I didn’t see any teddy bears, like Gilligan told me there would be. They played a very nice tune with the piano and the violins and such [
the Schumann Quintet in E-flat] and then the pink giraffe-lady started talking. A little bit like a frog, or a little girl.

And there was someone who was drawing while the music was playing and the talking went on, and those were very cute pictures and they were projected in very big on the wall. They helped me understand the story, which was about a lady-lion-dog [
a Sphinx, actually] and a big bad dog [Cerberus, to be precise] and a funny-looking sad bird [Phoenix]. And first the big bad dog wanted to bite the bird, I think. But then he didn’t want to bite the bird anymore, but the bird died. But they had become friends. I don’t know what happened to the lady-lion-dog. The pictures were very cute. But the lady-lion-dog had a wrong tail. They have a tassel, I know that, because I don’t like lions. Lions are evil and dangerous and not at all as pretty as beautiful tigers. And they have a tassel on their stupid tails, and the cartoon-drawing person forgot that. My boyfriend is a tiger!


Picture courtesy Bavarian Radio, © Astrid Ackermann
Drawings © Florian Mitgutsch

No comments: