Mark and I have collaborated on this one. -- Charles
Tyler Green made a request for bloggers to select our five favorite works of American architecture. This is really, really difficult -- no, impossible. There are so many cultures and influences. Churches, housing, human and animal, industrial, transportation. We can't stop thinking of possibilities: pre-fab housing, high-rise buildings. Oh well, here are five of our favorite buildings (with their architects, when known), in no particular order:
- B&O Railroad Roundhouse, Baltimore (Ephraim Francis)
- The Baltimore Basilica, Baltimore (Benjamin Henry Latrobe
, with Archbishop John Carroll and Thomas Jefferson)
- U.S. Coast Guard Lighthouse, Marquette, Mich.
- The Kreeger House (now Museum), Washington, D.C. (Philip Johnson, with Richard Foster)
- Library of Congress (Jefferson Building), Washington, D.C. (John L. Smithmeyer)