CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

10.11.05

Newly Discovered Baroque Music from Guatemala

One of the people I spoke to at the excellent free concert at the National Gallery on Sunday was Dieter Lehnhoff, who completed his doctoral work at Catholic University shortly before I began mine. As it turns out, he is back in Washington this week to give a concert this evening, November 10, at 6:30 pm, with his group Ensemble Millennium. On the little-known concert series from the Inter-American Development Bank, they will perform some of the cantatas and other sacred works that Dr. Lehnhoff has just discovered and transcribed. The program is called Baroque Music from the Guatemalan Highlands, and it will be presented in the IADB's Enrique V. Iglesias Conference Center, at 1330 New York Avenue NW. This event is FREE, and no ticket is required. Sadly, I cannot attend myself, and I have not lined up anyone who might give us a review. If anyone reading this hears this concert, let us know what you heard.

4 comments:

Garth Trinkl said...

Charles, I assumed that you would report on this, so I went to the Maison Francais instead to see Tavernier's "Safe Passage", which I had missed in 2002. I enjoyed your NGA review of chant and Palestrina -- another concert that I guessed you would review. Thank you for reminding us of Ruth Steiners notes available on line?

Did anyone catch this fascinating Baroque program? I'm going to feel quilty if no one did.

Anonymous said...

ignore that first question mark. sorry.

Princess Alpenrose said...

Is there any good baroque in Baltimore?

Charles T. Downey said...

Andrea, Baltimore is your territory! You tell us.