CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

21.5.13

Picturing --- Pictures


Lens time with Mona
The Louvre, one of the greatest collections of art in the world, is one of the most difficult to visit. The museum is the most popular attraction in France, hands down, and many think they have the secret to a stress-less entry. The Pyramid entrance after 2 pm, or the Carousel entrance -- they both have benefits, but Carousel is my preferred passage.

The energy created by the masses of people is intense, worry of pick-pockets included, and this is to view art! Or is it? It is also a phenomenon I've been watching for some time: I call it picturing -- pictures. In any museum with a lenient photography policy -- and often even when not allowed -- museum visitors are snapping away instead of just looking, just being with the art. One of the oddest developments is the iPad shooters. Taking selfies in front of iconic works of art -- now imagine that with an iPad.



I don't have a particular gripe about taking photos in museums. I do it, for my posts here and at press previews. I also don't have a problem with the bucket list mentality of art tourism. The more art viewing, the better. I'm just not sure how much of this I can take. Maybe until someone backs into a priceless work, knocking it to the floor.

It seems I'm not the only one thinking about this either: more thoughts here and here.



Just do it!

No comments: