CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

27.5.12

I've Seen Things -- and Got Soaked

So much to see, so little time: add a few monsoon-like downpours and you have perfect gallery hopping. Why is there always wind to eat my umbrella? I think there could be a painting in this.

Many good painting shows to see this month, some closing this week. Kathryn Lynch's simplified paintings of dogs and those that follow behind them at Sears Peyton -- funny stuff. More simple joy with Katherine Bradford's super cruise ships and super heroes at Edward Thorp, Superman Responds!

With new paintings and a new dealer, Friedrich Petzel, I'm a fan of Dana Schutz's crazy wildness. A series of small paintings of people yawning are great -- even more simplified forms.


There never seems to be an end to the late great Alice Neel's body of work: I'm forever coming across new images. David Zwirner is showing a selection of late portraits and still lifes through June.

Ok, I'm vulnerable: I get painter crushes. While attending a few Thursday night openings I spotted Alex Katz and his muse, Ida, checking out Nicole Wittenberg's work at Freight + Volume (I gushed and shook hands -- I know). Another crush I have is for Chantal Joffe's juicy, dripping goodness at Cheim Reed. The big beautiful baby in a white dress is fabulous.

A few more shows to see this month: Nicole Eisenman's prints have eclipsed her painting, for me -- lithographs, woodcuts, etchings, and monotypes, all at Leo Koening. I got to meet paintress and FB friend Janice Nowinski at her opening at Bowery Gallery, and it was nice to finally meet her and her wonderful small, washy figure paintings -- totally worth waiting for the slowest elevator in Chelsea.


Lastly, just when you think you know everything, The Steins Collect at the Met is loaded with the great art and artists the family collected and befriended and, best of all, the stories. Where would Matisse and Picasso have been without them? Many works in the exhibit are from private collections and rarely seen by the public. If the weather permits, which it did not for me, the Met's rooftop space has a space-age Skylab-esqe sculpture by artist/engineer Tomás Saraceno. From what I gather, it's pretty interesting and fun to crawl through. That will be my next visit.

Hint: the tourist crowds in the city are insane, so plan ahead to avoid the masses at both the Met and MoMA -- and bring your umbrella.

No comments: